How Do I…2019-05-29T12:48:06-05:00
How Do I…

How Do I…

How Do I Answer a Traffic Ticket?2020-01-07T11:48:25-05:00

Instructions to Complete a Plea Bargain by Mail


Please follow this procedure if you wish to try to work out a traffic ticket with a plea bargain without having to make a personal appearance in court.  This procedure DOES NOT apply to tickets for misdemeanors, driving while impaired, passing a school bus, leaving the scene, speeds more than 40 mph over the speed limit or speeds of more than 96 mph.  This procedure is only handled through the mail.  We do not accept applications by facsimile or email.  We do not accept telephone calls regarding traffic tickets.  This process may take several weeks to complete, and you must be prompt in following up with this office and with the Court, or you may risk suspension of your driving privileges.


A. Complete Section 1 of the Application and sign it. You may, on a separate page or pages, add any additional information or copies of documentation that you believe is in your favor.

B. Provide this office the following FOUR items: a copy of the Notice of Conference you received from the Court, a copy of your driver’s license, a copy of your Driving Abstract (you may obtain this from the Department of Motor Vehicles of the State where you are licensed; here is the link for New York State: , and a self-addressed postage paid envelope.


Once your Application is complete, the Town Prosecutor’s office will review it, and complete Section 2 of the Application by inserting a disposition of any proposed reduced charge.  The Application will then be returned to you in the self-addressed postage paid envelope you provided.

If you accept the disposition offered, the Defendant must date and sign Section 3 of the Application.  The original application must then be mailed directly to the Town of Thompson Court together with a self-addressed postage paid envelope.  If the Court accepts the disposition, and your plea of guilty, it will contact you with a written notice of the fine and/or mandatory state surcharge imposed.

If you do not wish to accept the disposition offered, or if no disposition is offered, notify the Court in writing.  The Court will then schedule a date for your trial. NO DISPOSITION WILL BE OFFERED AT THE TRIAL. YOU AND YOUR LAWYER, IF YOU HAVE ONE, MUST APPEAR PERSONALLY AT THE TRIAL, READY TO PROCEED ON ALL ORIGINAL CHARGES AGAINST YOU.

If you hire an attorney, and your attorney has provided the Court and this office with an original, signed, notarized waiver of appearance, your attorney may complete this form on your behalf.


Town Prosecutor

Paula Elaine Kay, Esq.
Town of Thompson Prosecutor
4052 State Route 42 North
Monticello, New York 12701

How do I FOIL information from the Town?2019-05-29T16:24:51-05:00
How Do I Get a copy of a Birth Certificate?2019-05-29T14:55:30-05:00
How Do I Get a Copy of a Death Certificate?2019-05-29T14:55:17-05:00
How Do I Get a Marriage License?2019-05-29T14:54:58-05:00
How Do I Pay My Property Taxes?2019-05-29T14:54:10-05:00
How Do I Pay My Water or Sewer Bill?2019-05-29T14:53:35-05:00

Sewer and Water Bills are sent out annually.  Payments can be made in person at or mailed to:

Town of Thompson Town Hall
4052 State Route 42
Monticello, NY 12701

Checks should be made payable to Town of Thompson.

We accept Visa, Mastercard and Discover Credit Cards.

There is a 3% fee ($2.00 minimum) added by the credit card processor.

To pay on line with a credit card:

Penalty and Interest Charges are as follows:

5% after 30 days, an additional 0.5% after 60 days and an additional 0.5% after 90 days.

After September 30th, a 10% penalty will be added on all unpaid balances and will be relevied on the next year property tax bill.